When the girls decided they wanted reindeer we told them they needed to raise money to buy them. They began Murphy Dough Cookie Co and sold over $2000 of homemade cookie dough to buy Ruby, their first reindeer. When visitors come they get a special treat of either fresh seasonal organically grown garden veggies with homemade ranch dressing or our most popular cookie, we called The Works: Oatmeal, chocolate chip with coconut. We developed this recipe years ago and never get tired of it. The cookies get rave reviews on TripAdvisor and we won a blue ribbon at the 2016 Tanana Valley State Fair!
We like to think that people come to walk with the reindeer, but looking at the most used words in our TripAdvisor reviews, cookies ranks #1 (notice that “her husband” is right up there).
World Famous Running Reindeer Ranch Cookies
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter (use only butter, no margarine or shortening)
Mix together well
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (just the real stuff, no imitation flavor)
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 cups of oatmeal (whole rolled oats, not instant oats).
- 1 cups dark chocolate chips (Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chips is what I use)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut (I use the unsweetened coconut in the bulk section of our local stores. Bob’s Red Mill also has great coconut, If you use sweetened coconut (not recommended) reduce sugar.
Optional: 1 cup walnuts (I don’t add nuts when we have guests because of the potential allergy issue, but when I make them for myself I prefer nuts)
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or so
Enjoy, remember your time at Running Reindeer Ranch and come back to see us!