COVID-19 information and updates
We’ve made some changes to our winter reindeer walks.
Updated 7/31 from Explore Fairbanks
Remember, Masks are required!
Unless we have extreme weather you will be outside for the tour. Please dress appropriately and prepared for mosquitos.
Please respect people’s social distance needs, we have acres of space.
We are Open!
Check the schedule for availability here(opens in a new tab).
We have a new activity for June. Check out our Ranch Visit(opens in a new tab).
The guidelines below still apply.
We have a new health-related guideline, it is to keep our reindeer safe and healthy and has nothing to do with COVID 19:
If you have been in contact with goats or sheep in the last three weeks, please contact Running Reindeer Ranch.
But we have a few rules.
For the safety of our guests, staff, and reindeer:
- You must be following the current Alaska Governor’s Travel Mandates, you can find them here(opens in a new tab).
- Reservations and payment must be completed online. No drop-ins.
- Groups will be smaller
- Respect six feet of personal space.
- You must wear a mask at all times.
- Use of hand sanitizer will be required when arriving, after signing the liability waiver, and when entering and exiting the reindeer pen.
- You will not be allowed to join the tour if you show signs of illness.
- If you are a household unit of more than ten, we can accommodate private tours.
Traveling to Alaska
The State of Alaska has instituted a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all incoming passengers. Running Reindeer Ranch will not permit guests who are not following this mandate.
You can find the quarantine form here.
Cancelation Policy Change
We’ve have honored our policy and issued tens of thousands of dollars worth of refunds, so we have modified our cancelation policy for future tours.
Policy Change for any reservations made after April 26
We know travel plans change and sometimes it’s necessary to cancel them. That’s why you may cancel your reservation for a full credit, to be used at a future date if you notify us 48 hours before your scheduled tour.
The complete policy can be found here.
We’re still closed. As with most small businesses, it’s been tough but we’re hanging in there hoping for the ability to reopen in some manner soon. We were lucky to get a Payroll Protection Program grant/loan so we can maintain staff. There is plenty of work in the spring as the reindeer calve(opens in a new tab), the snow melts and gardens need to be planted.
With travel restrictions and cruise cancelations, we have issued about $50,000 in refunds for canceled trips. If you are planning a trip this summer or rescheduling for next summer, we can offer you credit, or if you’d like to help out, we do offer gift cards(opens in a new tab). Watch our Facebook page (opens in a new tab)for other virtual opportunities.
Stay safe, stay well and we’ll see you soon.
We are sad to announce that as of Thursday, March 19, we will be closed until the end of May or until we can safely reopen. The health and safety of our staff and guests are our primary concern, and we felt we had no other options. Any cancelations will be fully refunded. More soon…
March 19, 2020
At Running Reindeer Ranch the health and safety of our guests and staff is our top priority.
As we all know, COVID-19 information and updates are changing rapidly. Please know that we are monitoring the situation and will follow the lead of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)(opens in a new tab) and local authorities as far as limiting the spread of the virus.
Some things we are doing:
- We are encouraging you and our guides to stay home if sick.
- We are encouraging you to practice proper respiratory etiquette and hand washing.
- We are limiting the size and number of tours offered.
- We are not providing extra cold-weather gear, please bring your own cold-weather gear.
- We are spending all of our tour outside to allow for social distancing, so please dress appropriately (snow pants, hats, gloves, boots, it’s Alaska!)
- We are practicing recommended environmental cleaning and disinfection guidelines.
- We are reducing our April schedule.
If you need to cancel a tour, we offer a full refund per our cancelation policy (if requested before 48 hours of the tour(opens in a new tab)). Just email us(opens in a new tab) your name and tour date.
(It may take up to a week for your refund to be processed, sorry for the inconvenience)
Small businesses, particularly those in tourism and hospitality, are being hit hard at this unprecedented difficult time. We cannot thank you enough for your continued patience, understanding, and business.
If you’re stuck at home bake yourself a batch of our famous cookies and think of us.
Please stay in contact through our Facebook page (you’ll be the first to know when our calves are born).
Stay well, stay safe and we hope to see you at the Ranch,
Jane, Doug and the Staff and Reindeer
For current information about the COVID-19 outbreak, visit the following websites:
State of Alaska Department of Health and Social Services What can Alaskans do to prepare for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19)?(opens in a new tab)
Cruise Lines International Association Statement(opens in a new tab) (March 13, 2020)
Last updated March 15, 2020