“This is a must see, what a wonderful experience. It is fun and also very informative. Jane and her husband really know all there is to know about these beautiful creatures. They treat the reindeer just like family and also invite you into their home to share homemade cookies and a hot drink. This is definitely a bucket list experience.” from TripAdvisor
Get acquainted with our reindeer in this unique, intimate, immersive tour. Jane, a lifelong Alaskan will guide you in a walk through the birch forest playing reindeer games and observing the adaptations that make reindeer ideal for Arctic living.
Join us for a walk through the woods with the reindeer
This one-of-a-kind tour will be the highlight of your trip to Alaska. Our reindeer take you through a guided nature walk in the boreal forest. There you will learn about the natural history of the forest as well as the reindeer themselves. Enjoy the frolicking and leaping reindeer as they run free through the woods. Each walk is a unique experience depending on season, trail conditions and the mood of the reindeer. After the walk, depending upon the season, we will tour our organically grown perennial and vegetable gardens and enjoy light refreshments and carry on the conversation.
This nature walk has uneven terrain, so good walking shoes and weather appropriate clothing are required. Our reindeer are tame but not trained so sometimes they decide to take a route not planned for. Bring your cameras and expect the unexpected!
Prices start at $55 per adult, $35 per child 3-12, under 3 free, prices can change seasonally. For safety purposes all children must be supervised by an adult at all times, children under 3 must be in a backpack carrier. Each tour has a three person minimum.
What you need to know:
- We are located in Northwest Fairbanks; About 25 minutes from downtown, 10 minutes from the University and 20 minutes from the airport. It is an easy drive to find us. We do not provide transportation but suggest you contact Hampton’s Tours and Transports – (907) 371-7101 or Air Link Shuttle – (907) 452-3337 make sure they know to pick you up 2.5 hours after the start of the tour.
- Tours are by reservation only.
- Please book online. For same day booking please check availability online then call us at 907-455-4998, please leave a message if we don’t answer.
- We work hard to provide a quality experience, so please plan on spending at least two and a half hours at the ranch. The walk distance itself is not long, but you will be outside for over an hour. After the walk, we will gather for cookies and drinks and talk more about our antlered friends.
- Your group may not be the only guests; we take up to twenty guests per tour.
- Wear season/weather appropriate clothing.
- If you arrive early, you may have to wait in your car while we finish preparing for your tour.
- Did we mention that tours were by reservation only? This is our home; please respect that.
Hassle-free Cancellation Promise: We know travel plans change and sometimes it’s necessary to cancel. That’s why you may cancel your reservation for a full refund if you notify us 48 hours before your scheduled tour. No questions asked. We often have a waiting list so we can not refund if you do not notify us 48 hours before your tour.
Cold Weather Guarantee: This is Alaska, we are a place of weather extremes. You will be outside for about an hour. We can’t control the weather, but we want you to be comfortable. If it’s colder than -20 (we’ve done walks at -50), and you won’t be comfortable, please let us know as early as possible and we will issue you a full refund, although we think you will miss a truly unique experience.
If inclement weather forces us to cancel a tour, we will issue you a full refund.
Cold Weather Preparation: We have some outdoor gear to borrow but nothing consistent.
There is a place in town that rents out gear. Contact them at www.alaskaelement.com. They have a package of boots, snow pants and jacket for $30/day and will deliver to your hotel or airport! It will be so worth it!
The important thing is to stay very dry. Wear light boots or shoes until you actually go outside to spend time. Otherwise, your feet will get too hot, sweat and be wet and cold. We would also recommend getting hand warmers at any sporting store or our local Fred Meyer. Open them up about 20 minutes before you need them, shake them and let them warm up to the air. When you are done close them in a plastic bag without air and you can reuse them again. They are good for about 6 hours of use that way.
Alaska Camera has a rental department – for camera’s, lenses, tripods, video, and GoPro. They have a good selection of aurora lenses for winter. During the summer months, rent telephoto lenses for wildlife photography. Rates are reasonable and discounted when rental is for 2+ days. Find them at www.alaskacamera.com. or (907)456-8896